By Umm Isam – “Hiba” magazine content writer
Allah (swt) states in the Quran about Himself: “O mankind, you are those in need of Allah, while Allah is the Free of need, Praiseworthy.” (Fatir 35:15)
Al-Ghani is one of Allah’s (swt) beautiful names mentioned in the Quran, 18 times. Had Allah (swt) not introduced His divine attributes to us via His Al-Asma ul-Husna (beautiful names), we would have remained in a distressful state of disparity.
Who is Al-Ghani?
He is the source of richness and self-sufficiency. Allah Al-Ghani only gives and doesn’t take from us. He is the only Supreme Dominant power, Who is free of faults or dependency. He doesn’t need permission from anyone to grant His creation. Time and space do not bind His sufficiency as both are His own creation. Since time immemorial, He has been giving from His endless treasures that are never depleted.
“Glory be to Him! He is self-sufficient.” (Yunus 10:68)
Allah Al Ghani is not in need of us. He does not need our worship either. Then why does He state: “And I did not create the Jinn and mankind except to worship Me.” (Adh-Dhariyaat 51:56). Because we constantly need Him for everything, hence we worship Allah Al Ghani only. He loves us and helps us to become a good muslim while we are alive and enter Jannah after we die. Al-Ghani is the One, Who has granted spiritual sustenance and guidance to the prophets in the past and continues to do so to the rest of the humanity so they reach their potential.
He is not dependent on anyone. But we depend upon Him for our life, health, food, success, family, friends, etc. Hence we pray to Allah Al Ghani and make Duas to fulfill our wishes. Similarly the entire creation including Jinn, animals, etc. are also dependent upon Him for everything. Allah Al-Ghani neither needs to rest or eat to regain power. He doesn’t require to marry to raise a progeny that inherits from Him. These are the limitations of humans.
Allah Al Ghani can fulfill the needs of a single person and the entire universe. It neither tires Him, nor empties His treasures. He doesn’t need others to help Him. The kings of the world need minsters to aid them. The leaders of huge corporations need a work force to help them. Allah Al-Ghani is above these weaknesses. The entire universe on the contrary submits to Him, worships Him and fulfills its designated roles given to them by Him.
He knows what we need, even before we ask Him. It is because of the power He has. Allah Al- Ghani only gives us what is good for us. He also gives it to us at the right time. Ignorant humans sometimes feel that if help is not arriving on time or their invocations are not being answered instantly, there is a lacking in Allah’s (swt) power or presence. We should clear our minds of such blasphemous thoughts immediately.
Allah Al-Ghani neither forgets our needs, nor mixes them up nor refuses us due to any weakness. If He does not grant us something it is for our own good. Allah Al-Ghani has destroyed tyrant nations such as the Aad, Thamud, People of Sodom, People of Firawn. Similarly, He has crushed evil individuals such as Firawn, Qarun, Samri, Namrood, etc. The pleas of the victims are never unheard. Allah Al-Ghani plans His moves with justice, mercy and wisdom.
What should we do after knowing Allah Al Ghani?
- Ask Allah (swt) only for our smallest and biggest needs. It will keep us honourable and high in the sight of others. Humans do not appreciate people who lack self-esteem and act as desperate parasites.
- The best sustenance to ask for in the world is for spiritual contentment from Allah Al-Ghani. It is the heart’s Ghina (sufficiency). This station is achieved by worshipping Allah (swt) more in solitude. Not by chasing materials or matter of the world.
- The poverty of people is not removed by begging others or struggling in Dunya only. Efforts must be accompanied by sincere worship of the believer. Allah Al-Ghani may not grant him money but fill his heart with a special joy and tranquility, which is superior.
- Make Dua to Him that He never makes us dependent on anyone except Him. Allah (swt) loves such believers who do not ask others but lift their hands to Al-Ghani instead.
- It was Allah (swt) Who granted richness to our beloved prophet (sa) in dire times: “And He found you poor and made (you) self-sufficient” (Ad Duha 93:8)
- When people complain of their wants, direct others also to the submission and worship of Allah Al-Ghani in their times of need. You may help them later.
- We should not be ungrateful or angry if Allah (swt) does not fulfill our need, but trust Him, if our Duas are being delayed.
- We should also try to fulfill the needs of those who are poor or need our help to save ourself from the stinginess of the Nafs.
- When we help others, we must never boast our favours to belittle them. In reality, what we have has been granted to us by Al-Ghani, Who further enabled us to help His other needy slaves.
- When we witness other people’s rich and resourceful lives, we must immediately know that the source is Al-Ghani. Instead of feeling jealous of them we can also ask Allah (swt) for physical sustenance.