A blackout happens when electric companies shut down power in an area for a certain amount of time, in order to avoid a total blackout of the power system.
- Build an emergency kit.
- Make a family communications plan.
- Fill plastic containers with water and place them in your refrigerator and freezer. The chilled or frozen water will help keep food cold during a short power outage.
- Don’t open the fridge or freezer! You’ll let out whatever cold air is inside and food will spoil more quickly.
- Leave one light on, so that you’ll know when the power comes back.
- Use only flashlights, not candles. Flames of candles can lead to a bigger risk of fire.
- If it’s very hot outside, try to stay cool by going to the lowest level of your home. Cool air falls, hot air rises.