- Social Media: There is no escaping social media, so it’s better to be aware of the current social media trends. By having an open and honest conversation about social media, your teenagers will be more comfortable talking about it with you. Rather than your children hiding their social media from you, they’ll know you are willing and able to guide them.
- Social Classrooms: You can’t control the interactions your children have in school. Have conversations with your children, about what is appropriate and what isn’t. Simply forbidding your high-schooler from doing something won’t work, so try to make it more of a conversation than you giving orders. This is an excellent opportunity to have discussion with your children about the importance of Adab.
- Social Weekends: Who, what, where, why, when? We can badger children to no end with our well-meaning questions. Take a deep breath. Your kids are smart and capable. It may be helpful to put your questions into context for your children. Instead of ‘who are you going out with?’ you can say ‘I want to feel at ease about the friends you hang out with.’
- Social Learning: Once your children are in school, you no longer are the only source of behaviour learning for them. Their classmates and other students around them will be their biggest influence. They may even pick up habits that you don’t find appropriate, but be patient. Your children are trying to fit in and figure themselves out. This is the perfect time to speak to them about the importance of Islam over the opinions of what’s popular in school. Make them strong in their own convictions and their own personality, so they are not easily influenced by others.
- Social Building Blocks: Highschool is the first step towards adulthood and the last step of childhood. Only bigger, scarier, and more life-changing decisions are made after this point. Don’t leave your children unprepared and struggling to make the right decisions later on. Teach them to make their own judgement, just like you taught them their Salah.
The following two tabs change content below.