- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of golden syrup
- ½ cup of butter
- 3 ½ cups of flour
- ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
- 2 tablespoons of ground ginger
Take 1 cup of syrup and boil it in a sauce pan. Then add butter in it, and stir till the butter dissolves. Sift the flour into a bowl and put ginger, soda and sugar in it. Now, pour the mixture of the butter and syrup in the dry ingredients, until the mixture resembles a dough. Keep kneading it till it becomes soft. Do not put water. Then roll this dough and cut into any shape you prefer. Place these cut out shapes on a greased tray and place into a moderately hot oven. Bake it for 10 to 15 minutes, until you do not see them swelling a little. When they have turned to a light brown colour, take them out of the oven and allow to cool. Store in air tight containers.
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups finely crushed graham crackers (about 18)
1 can of condensed milk (not evaporated)
3 packs of cream cheese
2 tsp of vanilla exact
Melt butter, stir in sugar.
Add crushed crackers. Toss to mix well.
Spread evenly into a 9 inch pie plate.
Press onto bottom and sides to form a firm, even crust.
Chill about 1 hr or till firm.
Mix all 3 packs of cream cheese together until smooth.
Then add condensed milk slowly while mixing.
Add eggs and vanilla and mix well until smooth.
Then pour it in the pan.
Preheat the oven at 350 degree and bake it until light brown.
- Butter, melted: 235 grams
- White sugar: 415 grams
- Vanilla extract: 2 tsp
- Eggs: 3
- All-purpose flour: 130 grams
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: 60 grams
- Baking powder: 3/4 tsp Salt: 3/4 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C.
- Grease a square pan.
- In a large bowl, blend melted butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and gradually blend into the egg mixture.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Let brownies cool, then cut into squares.
1 cup Baisan
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup waterVEGETABLES
1-2 green chilies, chopped
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1 potato, sliced 1/4 thick
1 small cauliflower, broken into very small florets
1 cup spinach leaves, torn
1 1/2 cups onions, halved and sliced
1. Boil the potato slices until *just* tender, being careful not to overcook.
2. Mix batter ingredients well. Beat in a blender for 4-5 minutes to incorporate air (this will make the batter fluffier). Let batter rest 1/2 hour in a warm place.
3. Add the vegetables and mix in evenly.
4. Deep-fry in oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
5. Serve hot with cilantro or mint chutney or cucumber raita.
(Source: PakiRecipes.com – Recipe by Mrs R. Khan)
15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained.
8 ounces can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained.
8 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained.
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup red onion
1/4 cup salad oil
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, minced,
shredded salad leaves
Tortilla Chips (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine black beans, kidney beans, corn, green pepper, and onion.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine oil, vinegar, lime juice, sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt and garlic. Cover and shake well.
- Pour dressing over the beans mixture.
- Toss lightly to coat. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, line beans salad with salad leaves.
- Serve with Tortilla Chips (optional).
- one whole chicken, cut into 8 to 12 pieces
- yoghurt – 1 cup
- soya sauce – 3 tbsp
- ginger, crushed – 2 tbsp
- garlic, crushed – 2 tbsp
- cumin powder – 1 tbsp
- coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- salt – to taste
- black pepper – to taste
- red chilli powder – to taste
- lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- cooking oil – 1/2 cup
- Mix the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper and red chilli powder with yoghurt and whip to form a smooth paste.
- Immerse chicken into the yoghurt paste, mix well and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pot and add to it the chicken and yoghurt mixture.
- Cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear (decrease heat or add a little bit of water, if yoghurt starts to stick to the pan).
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok.
- Take individual chicken pieces from the pot and add to the oil one by one. Fry on medium heat, turning frequently, until the color is a nice golden brown (don’t overcook or chicken will become dry).
Optional: Add any remaining yoghurt mix and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes for extra flavor. Sprinkle lemon juice and serve in a dish garnished with baked or fried potatoes or any other side item of your choice with bread or naan.
Farheen Khan offers the recipe of a triangular pie, which is bread stuffed with a mixture of hearty nuts and sugar.
- Raisins – 500 gm
- Sugar – according to taste
- Almonds – 500 gm cut into small cubes
- Apples – 1/2 peeled & cut into small cubes
- Crushed & dried coconut – 750 gm
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Other nuts like pistachios – according to taste
- Fine flour (Meada) – 2 cups
- Take flour, add 2 tbs of oil in it and knead the flour with water until it is done. It should not be too hard or too soft. Leave the dough to rest for about half an hour (if u have time).
- In another bowl, mix all the ingredients with sugar (3 tbsp or as desired) – this will serve as the filling.
- Then take small balls of the dough and make thin covering (just like Peeta bread) and cut that into half.
- Now, place 1 tbsp of filling in each half and shape as desired (like a samosa or any other shape).
- Seal the ends with water.
- Chill it in the freezer for 30 min for good results; then, deep-fry.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
3 cups watermelon puree (about 1/4 to 1/2 a watermelon)
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1 kiwi, peeled and sliced
1 peach or nectarine, diced small
handful fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- Cut the watermelon into chunks and then puree it in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Set out about 1 dozen popsicle molds (amount needed will vary depending on size of molds). Fill each one with the chopped fresh fruit. Then pour in the watermelon puree until each mold is full to the top. Place a popsicle stick into each one. Place into your freezer and freeze for about 6 to 8 hours.
- When ready to serve, run the popsicle molds under warm water for a few seconds and then pull each one out. Enjoy!
Note: You can vary the fresh fruits as per your preferences.
6-7 bright red tomatoes
2 big capsicum, cut into 4 longitudinal pieces
4-5 green chillies
4-5 cloves garlic with skin
1 onion finely chopped
olive oil to coat the vegetables
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven.
- Coat tomatoes, capsicum, green chillies and garlic with olive oil such that they are oiled all over.
- Arrange in a greased shallow baking tray and keep and broil 10-12 minutes. Remove and cool.
- Discard the skin of garlic, the tomato cores and skin.
- Combine the garlic, tomatoes, capsicum and green chillies in a bowl and using a hand blender, puree roughly.
- Alternately, run in a mixer grinder for a few seconds.
- Be careful not to make a smooth paste of it.
- It should be chunky and coarse.
- Add chopped onions, salt, pepper, sugar and fresh parsley to the coarse paste and your salsa is ready.
Note: If you would like to store salsa in the refrigerator for a few days, then do not add the onions. Add onions only at the time of serving.
By Farah Najam (Courtesy: http://www.pakirecipes.com)
- 1 cup boiled chicken
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 2 boiled potatoes
- 2 tsp coriander leaves
- 1 boiled egg
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 fresh egg
- Heat oil in a wok or Kadai.
- In a bowl, mix mashed boiled potatoes, ground boiled chicken and grated cheese.
- Add to the ingredients a mashed boiled egg.
- Next, add coriander leaves and 2 tbsp of cornflour.
- Next, add half teaspoon of salt and black pepper, and also half teaspoon of baking powder.
- Make small balls, roll them in beaten fresh egg and coat by bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the balls.
- You can also make these balls in the shape of cutlets.
This colorful stir-fry combines green bell pepper, orange carrots and red onion along with spice-coated chicken for a delicious result. The cooking happens quickly, so it’s a good idea to measure out and prepare all the ingredients in the recipe before you fire up the wok. Enjoy the smoky aromas that emanate from the pan and the combination of spices that titillate the taste buds.
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 dried red chiles, such as Thai, cayenne or chile de arbol, stemmed
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Grind coriander, cumin and fennel seeds in a spice grinder (such as a clean coffee grinder) or a mortar and pestle until the mixture resembles coarsely ground pepper. Transfer to a medium bowl and add cornstarch, salt and turmeric; stir to combine. Add chicken and stir until coated with the spice mixture.
- Preheat a wok or a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is shimmering, add carrots, bell pepper, onion, garlic and chiles. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add the chicken and seasonings from the bowl and cook, stirring, until no longer pink in the middle, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the vegetables, lime juice and mint and cook until heated through, about 30 seconds.