- 1 lb. of potatoes
- 11/2 pint stock or water
- 2 small onions
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 ounce fat (ghee or butter)
- 1/2 an ounce of sago
- 1/2 a pint of milk
- Peel and slice potatoes in thin slices.
- Peel and cut the onion into thin slices.
- Bring fat to boiling and cook the slices of onion in the fat for 5 to 10 minutes (make sure they do not discolour). Add the slices of potatoes and cook. Add stock or water and cook slowly for 1 to 2 hours, until reduced to a pulp.
- Rub the pulpy soup through a sieve or blend in blender until smooth.
- Bring milk and sago to boiling. Mix in the blended potatoes and onions and cook till sago is transparent. The soup should be the consistency of thick cream.
Option: You can use rice, instead of sago as well. In such case, follow this procedure: 20 minutes after stock has been added to onions and potatoes, add in rice. The rest of the recipe remains the same.