Marriage is not only about love; it is also about trust. If you are not able to trust your spouse then there can be no love in the relationship. Today’s generation does not know the meaning of marriage. Marriage is an exceptional bond that binds you in a relationship such that whether you have a small tiff or a major problem, you try to overcome it with mutual understanding.
Even the Shaitan is envious of a married couple who ties the knots in a bond that is unbreakable. Every day he sits on his throne ordering his Shaitan servants to go and make the humans go astray. After they accomplish their evil mission, they go to their master and happily tell him about whom they managed to mislead. But the Shaitan (Iblis) is not very happy with their performance. However when one of his servants tells him that he has caused a rift between a husband and wife, he gets excited and praises that servant of his. Allah (swt) has created this couple and through Nikah they are in a special internal bond that is unbreakable. Allah (swt) hates the word divorce whereas the Shaitan (Iblis) loves to break this relationship.
Today’s generation should always think before they start an argument with their spouse; maybe it is the Shaitan who is trying to cause a rift between them. Always sit and talk about your problems to one another. Try to be patient even if your spouse isn’t. A husband-wife relationship is like a car with tyres on each side; when one of the tyres inflates, the car cannot be driven further. So keep this in mind and build such a strong relationship that even a hurricane is unable to shake it. Our Prophet’s (sa) dealing with his wives is an ideal example for us to follow and succeed.
Here are some helpful tips for a successful marriage, Insha’Allah:
- Trust and help each other; be good and stay positive.
- Please your spouse and make him or her feel special always. For example, cook his or her favourite food or dine out at his or her favourite place.
- Be humorous, playful, helpful, respectful and entertaining.
- Never bring your past mistakes in your present.
- Encourage and give hope to your spouse.
- Do not compare each other even over tiny things.
- Surprise your spouse with something new. For example, give gifts to each other.
- Spend quality time as much as you can.
- Look beautiful for your spouse.
- Listen carefully and obey sincerely.
- Avoid fighting, ignoring, lying, doubting, misbehaving and getting angry.
- Be open and discuss your problems/worries with your spouse. Also, make eye contact while speaking.
- If one of you is angry, the other should be quiet.
- Don’t argue. Simply say ‘Sorry’ whether it’s your mistake or not.
- Always make Dua to make your marriage successful and your relationship/ bond strong.
- Always be thankful to your spouse.
- Say ‘I love you’ to your spouse.
- Understand each other by putting yourself in the other person’s shoes.
- Respect your spouse and be a garment for him or her everywhere.
- Eat together, be together and pray together.