Image Courtesy www.learn-Islam.com
Today, everything is available online, and Muslims fall for anything- because of their lack of knowledge about Quran and Sunnah. This results in practicing rituals that were never practiced by the Prophet Muhammad (sa), or by his companions (rta). These practices are wrongly associated with Islam. If I even dare to mention all innovations that we see educated people practicing in the name of religion, people would declare war here. This extremism is also due to falling prey to Shaytan.
Muslims belonging to any sect have one thing in common, which joins all of them together in the end- Quran and Sunnah
The disbelievers of Quraish tribe in Prophet’s (sa) time didn’t accept Islam because they weren’t ready to leave the ways of their ancestors.
Today, we don’t want to leave the innovations that were introduced as part of Islam, and practiced by our ancestors.
Definition of Bid’ah – Innovation
Bid’ah is a new thing, introduced to and made part of the Deen (Islam) that has no origin what so ever from the Quran or the Sunnah of RasulAllah (sa).
Imam Bukhari and Imam Muslim write that there was some companions talking and the Prophet (sa) was listening. One of them said: ‘I will make prayers (Salah) all night long.’ The second said: ‘I will fast (Sawm) all the time.’ The third said: ‘I will never marry.’ When our Prophet (sa) heard them say this, he said: ‘I am the most Allah (swt) conscious than any of you. I pray (Salah,) I fast (Sawm) as well, and I do marry women. And, who so turns his face from my Sunnah, cannot be of my Ummah’. (Mishkat, Muslim, Bukhari)
The reason why our Prophet (sa) stopped them from doing what they wanted to do was because it was against Sunnah (his way). Whatever we do which is against the way of our Prophets (sa) Sunnah is a Bid’ah Sayiah.
RasulAllah (sa) stated: “On the Day of Judgement, some people will come to me when I will be standing by Haudh-e-Kauser (Well). They will be grabbed and taken towards the Hellfire. I shall say: “These are my people,” but in reply I will be told: “These are the people who introduced innovations after you, so they are unbelievers.” (Bukhari, Muslim, Kitab-ul-Haudh)
A person once sent Salam to Abdullah Ibn Umar (rta) who replied: I do not accept his Salam, as this person has innovated by becoming Qadriyyah (A sect which does not believe in destiny) (Mishkat, Kitab-ul-Iman wa-al-Qadr, transmitted by Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)
The above narration emphasizes upon the fact that Bid’ah is to hold such an Aqeedah which is in direct opposition to the Quran and Sunnah- i.e. to become Qadriyyah, Jabriyya etc.
RasulAllah (sa) stated: “Every innovation leads astray; and every creator of the astray goes in the Fire.” (Muslim)
An example of this Bid’ah is given by Hafidh Ibn Al-Qayyim who writes: ‘The one who denies the punishment of the grave is an innovator’. (Kitab-ur-Rooh)
Some people think that if they are just following someone else, as long as they themselves did not invent something, then their action is acceptable. This is not true; every person is responsible for being diligent in making sure their actions are correct. Emulating and following the Prophet (sa) is a Quranic obligation. Allah (swt), the Almighty says,
“Indeed in the Messenger of Allah (Muhammad (sa) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much.” (Al-Ahzab 33:21)
Hadeeth about innovation in Deen (Bid’ah)
و كل بدعة ضلالة، وكل ضلالة في النار
And every innovation (in Deen) is misguidance, and all misguidance is in the Hellfire.
ہر بدعت گمراہی ہے اور گمراہی کا انجام جہنم ہے۔
No doubt, it is obligatory for the Muslim to be a follower of his Prophet (sa) in what he prescribed; and it is not permissible for him to go against him, or to introduce any innovation in the religion for any reason whatsoever.
It is Bid’ah if…..
It should be noted that differing from the way of the Prophet (sa) and falling into Bid‘ah may mean one of two things:
- Introducing an act of worship for which there is no basis in Islam, such as touching graves and seeking help from their occupants. The scholars call this real innovation (Al-Bid‘ah Al-Haqeeqah). This is that which was not prescribed at all.
- The act of worship may be originally prescribed in Islam, and what is contrary to the Sunnah may have to do with defining a certain time or place for it, or a certain number of times it is to be repeated, or the manner in which it is to be done or the reason for which it is to be done. This is called innovation by addition (Al-Bid‘ah Al-Idafiyah); it is not Bid‘ah unless it is done regularly and repeatedly. If it is done only once or twice without adhering to that, then it is not Bid‘ah, such as if people pray Qiyam (night prayer) in congregation (Jam‘ah) on some occasion, without thinking that there is any particular virtue in doing so.
Common innovations of today
Some commonly seen innovations in today’s world which are passed on by the ancestors to modern day Muslims:
- Putting Quran on brides head during her Rukhsati.
- Ceremony of putting Quran first thing in a new office
- Mourning for the deceased on the tenth or fortieth day after his death.
- Putting finger in the grave right after burial and reciting selected verses for his protection in the grave.
- Putting perfume, Zamzam and other things in the grave.
- Celebrating special nights that are or are not mentioned in the Quran and Sunnah, and believing it is part of Islam.
- Wearing amulets for protection.
- Sacrificing animals in the name of saints.
- Celebrating birthdays of Prophets or Saints.
- Making monuments on graves or making solid graves.
- Believing in the altered concept of Tawassul.
- Believing in the Sufi methodology, their Tarikat such as believing that Allah (swt) can only be approached with the help of a Sheikh (Na’uzu billah)
- Singing Qawali- thinking it is part of Islam.
- Doing Tasbeeh on pebbles, and stones alone, or in a group.
- Making additional conditions of Salah which were never part of Sunnah.
Sadly, the innovations are increasing and the tolerance is decreasing. We refuse to listen to anyone else, and want to stick to whatever we do without even trying to open the book of Quran and Sunnah. This is how stubborn we have become.
When it comes to Bid’ah- those who are involved in it that have to prove its authenticity from Quran or Sunnah, not the other way around
Note: If there is any error in the above list, then it is from me and Shaytan. I ask Allah (swt) for forgiveness for the mistakes and sins that we know, and for those that we do not know. And I ask Allah (swt) for guidance, mercy, faith, and compassion for all of us. Ameen.