- The mutual rivalry for piling up of worldly things diverts you,
- Until you visit the graves (i.e. till you die).
- Nay! You shall come to know!
- Again, Nay! You shall come to know!
- Nay! If you knew with a sure knowledge (the end result of piling up, you would not have occupied yourselves in worldly things)
- Verily, You shall see the blazing Fire (Hell)!
- And again, you shall see it with certainty of sight!
- Then, on that Day, you shall be asked about the delight (you indulged in, in this world)!
What is Takathur?
It means rivalry in worldly increase. Competition for more of material wealth, which is not necessarily needed but simply wanted for satisfying one’s Nafs (desires), flaunting or having it as a source of honour and power in the society.
The mindset of Takathur (collection) also ensues Taqaabul (competition), Takhafur (boastfulness) and Tawwun (support culture). Tragically, most of us are unknowingly presently involved and united in the above stated sins.
Some selected Ayahs can help us understand, where we stand in relation to this social corruption highlighted by the Quran. Likewise, we should learn how we, as individuals, can alter our priorities and re-align our goals for attaining salvation in Aakhirah and success in Duniya.
To read the rest of this article and more, subscribe to Hiba Magazine.