Latest posts by Eman Al Obaid (see all)
Adapted for Hiba Magazine by Tasneem Vali
“…and many a Prophet (i.e. many from amongst the Prophets) fought (in Allah’s Cause) and along with him (fought) large bands of religious learned men. But they never lost heart for that which did befall them in Allah’s way, nor did they weaken nor degrade themselves. And Allah loves As-Saabireen (the patient ones, etc.).” (Al-Imran 146)
“This passage comments on the early events of the Battle of Uĥud up to the point at which the victory which was well within the grasp of the Muslim army turned into defeat.”(In the Shade of the Quran, Vol. 2 p.185). This was the first battle after Badr, and the Muslims felt victory was their destiny in every encounter as they were on the right path. Without making this ayah particular to a nation, Allah tells us that at any point, when faced with trial the true believer remains strong (both emotionally and physically) and patient – their reward is Allah’s love. This Ayah speaks to us in the present also. “It (Allah’s love) helps heal wounds and is accepted as ample and generous compensation for every hardship.”(In the shade…Vol 2, p.199)
To have patience/to be patient is mentioned many times in the Quran – but only once does Allah say He loves the patient ones. Reward for patience and the description of what patience means is mentioned many times, but Allah’s love as a reward for being patient is mentioned only once! This is the highlight; patience is a prerequisite to gain Allah’s love.
What is patience?
It is when a believer controls his/her desires when faced with a situation where it is difficult if not impossible to control the Nafs (ego/desire). Every part of a person’s body needs to exercise patience: the heart – I should not complain or feel unhappy with what is going on (situation), the tongue – not to complain to people (as if complaining about Allah to the slaves of Allah), the limbs – control all my limbs from any kind of action that is displeasing to Allah. For example, to control oneself from being negatively influenced by others– when something painful happens and you are patient, others might provoke you by saying, “Why are you quiet? Go fight for your right.” This leads you away from patience – beware of it.
Characteristics of As-Sabireen
الاستعانة بالصبر و الصلاةThey rely on Allah alone
- Prayer helps you rely on Allah and be patient
الصدق They are truthful
- Liars are impatient – they cannot be patient in a situation, so they lie
- Even during a trial/test, the truthful ones stay patient (accept the situation), they don’t try to change it by lying
التقوى They are pious
- People who are pious are patient and vice versa
- They control themselves from everything that is displeasing to Allah or following their own desires
- They are patient because they know Allah, therefore they love Allah, and fear Allah alone
الغلبة على الأعداء They overcome their enemies
- They remain strong and firm/steadfast
- They are both physically and emotionally strong
تجنب المعصيةThey abstain from sins
- Abstain from sins for the sake of Allah alone
عدم النزاعThey are patient during conflicts/fights
- It’s easy to get angry/shout/complain/show impatience and fight/argue because of impatience
- They don’t come near conflicts in order that it might lead to fights– they control themselves in such situations
و في الامر – الدعوة بالمعروف و النهي عن المنكر They are patient when giving Da’wah – enjoining good and forbidding evil
- Patient when calling people to Islam – especially if the person who they are giving Dawah to is close to them (family, relatives)
الصبر على محبة الدنيا و الرغبة في الآخرة They are patient in this world and yearn for the Hereafter
- Love of the world and love of the hereafter cannot be in the heart together
- They are not always busy thinking about material things, money, property or children. They are busy thinking about the Day of Judgment, Sunnah, Quran and Allah’s commands.
الصبر على الأمراض والبلايا They are patient when in sickness or afflictions
- They don’t complain about their situation/ health
الصبر على الاستهزاء و أذى الناس They are patient when they are mocked at / humiliated
- When someone is trying to harm them using words or mock, insult, humiliate, make fun of them, they are patient
عدم خطوات الشيطان They are patient when the devil whispers to them
- They don’t follow in the footsteps of Shaitaan
- Being patient helps to refrain from falling into the trap of the Shaitaan
- Being patient about things that are not clearly Haram or Halal. Asking for Allah’s guidance to help decide
When you run towards Allah, towards gaining His pleasure, towards attaining His love, everything in life will come to you easily, but the prerequisite is patience. No matter how much you run or struggle for this life, it will keep slipping away from you! Control your desires, and be patient – Allah will make it easy for you.
Rewards for being among As-Sabireen:
- The love of Allah – the best of rewards. (Al-Imran 3:146)
- The companionship of Allah (complete comfort and supporting all aspects of life and the Hereafter) – this is mentioned many times in Quran. Can you hope for a better companion than Allah?
- Unlimited rewards, there are no bounds to their reward. (Az-Zumar 10)
“O ALLAH! MAKE US FROM AMONG THE PATIENT ONES” – Ameen