Latest posts by Farah Najam (see all)
- Classroom Management: Create a Positive Learning Climate and Culture - September 27, 2017
A wise man will be master of his mind, a fool will be its slave, states Farah Najam.
Everyday everywhere young people take on new jobs. Each wishing to enjoy the success associated with reaching the top. Yet, they believe that climbing such heights is impossible, not realizing that there are steps that can lead them to the goal. But a small number of these youth have substantial belief in reaching the top and the steps that they need to take.
How to develop the power of belief?
- Islam teaches a believer to be optimistic. To think success rather than failure even at times when we are faced with difficult situations. In other words, a believer should think, “I will win, Insha’Allah” and not, “I will probably lose.” Pessimism leads the mind to think in the way of failure. Remember that pessimism is a gift from Satan or Iblees, whose name denotes hopelessness.
- Remind yourself regularly that you are better than you think you are. Successful believers are just ordinary people who have developed belief in Allah and the abilities He has given to them. Allah states: “Verily, We have created man in the best form.” (At-Tin 95:4)
- Allah wants to elevate the status of humankind and ensure its accomplishment and therefore He sent His Prophets and books. So, by thinking big according to the teachings of Allah (swt) and his Prophet (sa) the size of your success will be determined by the size of your belief. Think of little goals and expect little achievements. But think of big goals and you will win big. Big ideas and big plans are often easier. It is well to respect your leader and learn from him/her. But don’t just resolve to be like him or her, rather believe you can surpass and go beyond. .
Building confidence through your memory bank
- Deposit only positive thoughts in your memory bank. Everyone encounters plenty of unpleasant situations but successful people do not give it a second thought, whereas unsuccessful people brood over them so be among the successful and specialize in putting positive thoughts into your memory bank.
- A real smile melts away the opposition of others, and instantly too. So, smile Big. Harness the power of smiling. Remember Allah’s Messenger (sa) had a smiling face.
- With a positive, optimistic and cooperative attitude, a person with an IQ of 100 will succeed and earn more money and respect, than a negative, pessimistic, uncooperative individual with an IQ of 120. 60% dreaming and the rest do the trick. The biggest resolution would be the ‘Attitude’ – Think and dream creatively. Creative thinking is simply finding new, improved ways to do anything. Success at home, work, in community or just anything. For this, the basic truth is ‘Believe in yourself and the things that you can do – Believe in yourself and the world is Yours’.
Practice positive imagery
Each day spend some time in positive visualization of your goals and new life changes. Use your imagination for only through use does it sharpen. You can travel on the back of any thought you have in mind. Simply catch your thoughts, relax, tilt your eyes up just about twenty degrees and there you are.
Begin incorporating the following points in your attitude
- Overcome the fear of failure: When fear controls your actions, it takes charge. The only way you can overcome fear is to face it and attack it with full vengeance with one blow.
- Let your confidence soar: You must have the “I can do this” attitude if anything BIG happens to come your way. Confidence is more evident in a person’s actions, thoughts and emotional calm during stormy times.
- Don’t let small and negative people get in the way of your BIG ideas.
Tips for Better Thinking
- Suspend judgment when hearing something new.
- Explain things to others using their thinking patterns rather than yours.
- Remember that arguing is one of the least effective ways of changing someone’s mind. You don’t always have to fight to win.
- Use the language of leaders and people will be more inclined to treat you as one.
- Remember that your sense of humour is your stress barometer; when it seems like there’s nothing to laugh about that means you are overstressed.
- Constantly remind yourself that self-worth is not something you have to prove, or a conclusion you arrive at, it’s an assumption you start from.
- Spend more time reading than you spend watching television.
- Constantly monitor your self-talk; prefer positive language.
- Shun toxic people and those who push negative thinking; remember that you can fire anybody from your life.
- Practice positive “censorship;” you can choose to concentrate your attention on positive messages.
- Stay out of other people’s dramas; don’t become part of the victimology triangle.
- Always be learning; try to discover something new every day.
- Don’t kill ideas when you first hear them.Use the “P.I.N.” formula (Positive first, then Interesting, then Negative aspects).
- Don’t mistake a haphazard “brain-dump” for a conversation; explain your ideas clearly; use a discursive strategy to escort others to your truth.
- Always be ready to smile in the next second, and let it show on your face.
- In Thinking Big: The Keys to Personal Power and Maximum Performance, world-famous success expert Brian Tracy will take you beyond the limits of everyday thought, where you will tap into the vast resources of your mind and unlock unlimited potential.
By thinking big, you’ll become so confident, determined, and persistent that you can achieve any goal – nothing or no one will be able to slow you down or alter your course, Insha’Allah!
Success is an inside job. It’s a state of mind. It begins with you and is soon reflected in the world around you. By thinking big, you become a bigger person. By dreaming big dreams, you become a leader. By making plans to accomplish your goals, you take control of your life. And by practicing the ideas taught in Thinking Big, you can and will become unstoppable, by Allah’s Grace.
Here is an exercise to measure your true size.
- Determine your five chief assets.
- Invite some friends who will give you an honest opinion.
- Next under each asset, write the names of three persons you know who have achieved large success, but who do not have the asset to as great a degree as you.
Big thinkers are specialists in creating positive, optimistic pictures in their own minds and in the minds of others.