A Communication Building Resource
Discover Your Child
By Rana Rais Khan
- Why has the book “Discover Your Child” been written?
- Alhumdulillah Hiba Family Resource Centre has completed seventeen years. During this period both parents and young adults have sent us their questions and shared their problems. We provided them with solutions which did resolve most of the issues. Articles and blog for both Hiba and HIbakidz are written based on the same issues. I would often wonder why these parents did not talk to their children. Why is there a trust deficit? Why are there assumptions and judgements? Experience has taught me that they do not indulge in constructive communication. Both parents and children are strangers to each other even though they live under the same roof. Apparently know each other but are unaware of each other’s visions and values. So parents are oblivious towards the ideas, thoughts, feelings, preferences, mindsets, worries, fear and happiness of their children. Had they been aware, they would have been able to build a stronger relationship and nurture them in a better way. Discover your Child has been written to facilitate better understanding between a parent and child.
- What questions does the book “Discover Your Child” contain?
- This book is a “communication building resource” for parents. In simpler words, it is a means of having a fun and interactive session with your children. This book includes spiritual, intellectual, and emotional questions.
- How will ‘Discover Your Child’ benefit parents and their children?
- This book will help parents know their child’s psychology and emotions. The answers will sometimes be a source of happiness for the parents; it might make them laugh, or maybe shock them a little too. Some answers might make them a little worrisome and angry too, but it will help them become a patient and respectful listener. They will also learn how to give their child a “safe space” in which children can share their own point of view. Parents will also discover the reasons and root causes of their child’s behaviour, thus leaving behind the world of assumptions and judgements.
رَبَّنَا هَبْ لَنَا مِنْ اَزْوَاجِنَا وَذُرِّيّٰتِنَا قُرَّةَ أَعْيُنٍ وََّاجْعَلْنَا لِلْمُتَّقِينَ إِمَامًا
Our Lord! Grant us from among our wives and offspring, comfort to our eyes and make us an example for the righteousness. (Al-Furqan:74)