Latest posts by Hira Mateen (see all)
- The Dream Dua Formula: Change the Way You Make Dua - July 10, 2017
Allah (swt) has blessed us with the gift of Dua. It is considered to be the weapon of a believer, and there is no doubt that it has amazing powers. The beautiful act of Dua is what connects a Muslim to Allah (swt) whenever and wherever he needs to ask Allah (swt) for help. All one has to do is make a sincere heartfelt call to Allah (swt), and He beautifully responds.
Allah (swt) says in Quran:
“And your Lord said: Invoke Me, [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islamic Monotheism)] (and ask Me for anything) I will respond to your (invocation).” (Ghafir 40:60)
“And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad ) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor).” (Al-Baqarah 2:186)
“And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allah, so call on Him by them.” (Al-A’raf 7:180)
Prophet Muhammad (sa) said:
“Verily, your Lord is Generous and Shy. If His servant raises his hand to Him (in supplication), He becomes shy to return them empty.” (Tirmidhi)
“Dua turns away destiny, and good deeds lengthen age.” (Tirmidhi)
“A man should call upon Allah alone to provide for all his needs, so much so that even if a shoe-lace is broken, he should pray to Allah (swt) to provide a shoe-lace, and if he needs salt, he should beseech Allah to send it to him.” (Tirmidhi)
Most of us make dua at the time of need. Rarely do we call on Allah (swt) in the times of ease and peace. Often, we make Dua in a hurry, not even concentrating on its wording. Sometimes, we keep making Duas for months and years in a machinelike style and then complain about them not being answered. Many of us believe that our Duas are not going to be answered in this world, and so there is no use of making worldly Duas. Sometimes, we lack the firm belief that Allah (swt) will answer and respond to our Dua, and so we give up very soon.
Raise Your Duas: The Dream Dua Formula
Here are some selected tips from a Dua program “Visionaire”, which was conducted by Sheikh Muhammad AlShareef that will change the way you make Dua! Adopting them will make your Dua count, and, Insha’Allah, you will use Dua as a weapon and tool for steering your life.
- Belief in Dua. When making Dua, most of us are mentally prepared that our Duas may not be accepted, maybe not in this world. For a Dua to be readily accepted, have that firm belief that you are making Dua to the One Who has power over everything and can do anything. He is the One Who is the Controller, and all matters are taken back to Him. He loves it when we ask Him to help us with the slightest of matter. Dua proves the Oneness of Allah (swt), since we ask from Him and Him alone. Only He is All-Hearing and All-Seeing. He knows what every heart holds. What we are asking is just a matter of saying “be” (Kunn) for Him. What makes us think that He will not answer and respond? In short, Dua is an act of worship that highlights two aspects:
- Your weakness as a human being and your undeniable need for Allah (swt).
- Your realization and statement of Allah’s (swt) ability and complete power over everything.
- Go Somewhere Inspirational. To really feel what you are asking for and that you are asking from the Most Powerful of all, you need to be inspired. Look at the creation of Allah (swt). The sky at night, the stars, the moon, the sunrise and sunset, the nature around, valleys and mountains – they will make you realize the unlimited power of Allah (swt) over everything.
- Wording of Your Dua. Asking for something in a routine way stops making one pour their heart into what they are asking. The Dua habit goes in a robotic way. Make your Dua count by changing its wording, so that it gives you butterflies of excitement. Visualize your Dua, and you will pour your heart into it.
- Take Action. Act as if your Dua has already been answered. Make Dua and then start preparing for your Dua, so that when is it accepted, you are already prepared for it and it is all good to go. The moment you start preparing is the moment you will be more attentive in your Dua to Allah (swt).
- Miscellaneous Tips
- Sandwich your Dua with praise for Allah and Durood upon the Prophet (sa).
- There are many times in a day when Duas are readily accepted (Tahajjud, after ablution, between Adhan and Iqamah, and so on). Pick those and make Dua at that time consistently!
- Sins are a reason Duas are delayed and blessings are taken away. Make lots of sincere Istighfar and see the doors opening!
- “If you give thanks, I will give you more.” (Ibrahim 14:7) Thank Allah (swt) for all the blessings and for the ability to make Dua. Without a doubt, He will provide you with ways you cannot think of!
- Ask Him using His beautiful names!
- Thank Allah (swt) before your Dua gets answered, because you know it will get answered!
- There is no limit to asking Allah (swt); we ask, and He gives!
- The more you ask Allah (swt), the more pleased He is!
- Allah (swt) has all the power, not you. Why restrict your Dua?
- Who stands in front of the king and asks for a penny?
From now on, when you make Dua, have firm belief in the power of Almighty Allah (swt), acknowledge your need of Him and your weakness, have a burning desire, visualize your Dua, so that you pour your heart into it, and start preparing for the Dua to be answered by Allah (swt), because you know it will get answered, Insha’Allah!