Influenza, or flu, is caused by a virus that causes an upper respiratory infection. Influenza mainly affects the upper airways and can be transmitted easily in airborne droplets from the coughs and sneezes of infected people. However, the influenza virus is usually transmitted from person to person through direct contact.
The symptoms of influenza develop 24-48 hours after infection. Most common symptoms may include headache, fever, chills, dry cough, extreme tiredness, runny nose, sore throat, aches and pain.
For the sake of our health, it is necessary for us to know how to treat the flu. Natural herbal remedies in the light of the Quran and Ahadeeth can help comfort a person who has the flu.
“There is no disease that Allah has created, except that He also has created its treatment.” (Bukhari)
Olives have been mentioned seven times in the Quran, and their health benefits have been propounded in Prophetic medicine. The Prophet (sa) said “Eat the olive and massage it over your bodies, since it is a holy tree.” (At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah)
The Quran says: “Allah is the light of the heavens and the earth. The parable of His Light is as (if there were) a niche and within it a lamp, the lamp is in glass, the glass as it were a brilliant star, lit from a blessed tree, an olive, neither of the east (i.e. neither it gets sun-rays only in the morning) nor of the west (i.e. nor it gets sun-rays only in the afternoon, but it is exposed to the sun all day long), whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself) , though fire touched it. Light upon Light! Allah guides to His Light whom He wills. And Allah sets forth parables for mankind, and Allah is All-Knower of everything.” (An-Nur 24:35)
- Taking one tablespoon of olive oil before sleep will cure your flu within a week, Insha’Allah.
- Muslims have been using the black seed (Kalonji) for hundreds of years. However, many of us do not realize that the black seed is not only a prophetic herb, but it also holds a unique place in the medicine of the Prophet (sa). Black seed is mentioned along with many other natural cures in the Quran and Ahadeeth.
- “Use the black seed, because it contains a cure for every type of ailment, except for death.” (At-Tirmidhi, Ahmad and Ibn Hibban)
- For treatment of flu, a combination of black seed and olive oil has an effective impact. For this, add eleven tablespoons of olive oil in one tablespoon black seed powder, heat it, bring it to boil and then strain the oil. Placing one drop of this oil in the nostrils will relieve your flu.
- Also, mix one teaspoon of black seed oil in a cup of hot water and add lemon and honey to it; drink it three times a day.
- When it comes to natural remedies, honey is one of the best. Take one to two tablespoons of honey twice or thrice a day. The Prophet (sa) said: “You have cure in two things: honey and the Quran.” (Ibn Majah)
- Drinking hot liquids is an extremely effective home remedy for treating the flu, whether it is tea or simple water. Add one tablespoon honey in hot water or in tea and take it at the time of Asr Salah for good result. Not only does it help the body replenish fluids, but also provides heat that aids the body’s response and helps clear nasal congestion.
- Lemon juice also has healing properties. The juice of one lemon has 80% of vitamin C, which can help you boost your immune system. If you take it, when the flu has started, it will help shorten the length of your symptoms. For a sweeter taste, mix lemon juice with honey.
Caring for Elbows and Knees
By Umm Isam
The skin on the elbows and knees has fewer oil glands. This leads to building up of dead cells, which make these places dark and dry, especially during winters. Hence, knees and elbows should be looked after daily. Following are some fruitful tips for easy and regular care:
- Add sugar or salt to a shower gel for making a nice scrub to use on your knees and elbows daily.
- Moisturize your elbows and knees with coconut or olive oil.
- Prepare a paste of chickpea flour and lime juice. Apply it on your knees and elbows. Leave it on for about 10-15 minutes and wash off with water.
- Grind mint leaves and mix into it a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this paste to your elbows and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then, wash off with water.
- Rub your knees and elbows with a slice of lemon during a shower.
- Make a paste of a tablespoon of each: honey, milk, yoghurt and ground sesame seeds. Apply the paste to the affected areas before taking shower.
Prepare a scrub with sandalwood and almond powders mixed with almond oil or milk. Massage it gently into the dark and affected areas. Wash it off with water after 10 minutes.